martes, 27 de abril de 2010

Culture of Paranoia?

I've been "home" in the U.S. for two days, and I can't believe how paranoid everyone here seems. Just watching the Today Show, I just learned that family and friends are the most likely perpetrators of identity theft, so beware of saving your credit card information even on your home computer. You think you're safe at home, but the evil fingers are stretching towards you...they're out to get you and you'd better never let down your guard. As I stood there stirring my three different dairy products into my coffee (because we have choices here other than leche polvo), I couldn't help but mentally sigh in exasperation. Why are we so worried about everything here? Does the Today Show really have nothing better to talk about than the about 2% chance that someone in your family is going to use your credit card to buy a brand spankin' new treadmill 3000? We never worried about that in Mexico...it took a pending drug battle to get people off the streets, and even that only worked for a day. Are Mexicans fearless or are U.S.ens just paranoid? WE can afford the luxury of paranoia because we have nothing real to worry about. At least not here in comfy, decadently unconcerned Lancaster County.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario